Summary: Use the Articulate Web Object to integrate Captivate 5 into Articulate Presenter.
Difficulty: Easy

One of the unique features of Articulate Presenter is the ability to insert HTML based learning objects into a course. You do that via the Web Object insert feature in the Articulate Presenter menu. It allows you to insert most formats or movie types provided that you can view them in a regular browser.

The latest release of Captivate no longer allows you to use ActionScript 2 which means that if you use Articulate and Captivate 5, you’ll need to stop using the Articulate Flash Movie tool to integrate Captivate content. Articulate Studio is written in ActionScript 2 and Captivate 5 uses ActionScript 3.

So one nice workaround to the issue is to use the Articulate Web Object . It works pretty well as this demo shows:

View Demo

There are some limitations with this method so be sure to check out the Notes section at the bottom of this article.

How Do You Do It?

Web objects look better if you don’t have scroll bars around the sides and they are centred on the screen. To ensure that Captivate web objects look ok it is a good idea to fix the resolution of the Captivate movie at slightly less than the 720 x 540 pixel resolution of the Articulate slide in Presenter.

My tests showed that you should be aiming for a Captivate resolution of about 700 x 495 pixels.

1. If you are creating a new project, set the resolution in the opening dialogue screen. If your project already exists, click on the Modify tab and select Rescale Project. Make sure you uncheck Maintain Aspect Ratio.
  2. Publish your project in Captivate to Flash using the Output Option Export to HTML. You might want to check the Publish to Folder box too (not checked in image below). It will make life easier later on. (Click image to enlarge)
  3. Navigate to your published folder and rename the HTML file to index.html
  4. Open PowerPoint and from the Articulate menu choose Web Object.
  5. Select the folder with your Captivate files and display in Full Slide. (click image to enlarge)
  6. Go to Player Templates and choose “Lock presentation at optimal size”.
  7. This is to ensure that your Captivate will fill the Articulate slide, even if the user opens up their browser to full screen.

8. Publish your Articulate presentation.

Notes

• You will not be able to control the Captivate movie from the Articulate player. So you may want to use the Captivate skin and embed that in the Articulate player.
  • Because it is a web object, it will not necessarily fit into the Articulate window as nicely as when you are embedding Flash. Hence the importance of setting the Captivate resolution before importing.
  • You will not be able to link directly from the web object to another slide. This means that users could skip the slide without viewing all of the slide content.
  • Captivate 5 also makes it impossible to embed Engage ’09 content. This method does work with Captivate 4.

This post is tagged

1. armando says:

i clicked on “view demo” but saw an incomplete articulate presentation.

2. Jenise Cook says:

Great blog post, David, thank you very much. I needed to have this resource for future use.

The “view demo” worked just fine for me, and I’m glad to see you are remembering “Diana’s birthday”. Smart fellow! :-)

Keep up the great work. The Articulate Community support is something I can always count on to be there for me.

@jenisecook

3. Jenise Cook says:

Oh, and from @jeanettebrooks via Twitter, here is Brian Batt’s Screenr.com video on the same topic (he’s @articulatebrian on Twitter):

Once again, Articulate Community support/customer service, rocks the world!

@jenisecook

4. Kyle Petsch says:

I agree with the others, thanks for the tip. I was running into the same issue when using content generated by MapCap Mimic V5.

Kyle

@fbtrainer

5. italgo says:

So, why do not remain with Captivate 4? :)

6. Lynn Campbell says:

How do you handle multiple captivate 5 movies as web objects? I have 18 to use in one Articulate presentation.

Hi Lynn, Just place each of your Captivate movies in a unique folder with the appropriate index.html file. Make sure that each folder has a different name. Then insert your web objects in Articulate Presenter as per normal. Each web object will show on a different slide. Hope that helps.

7. tim says:

Thanks for the tip – it almost worked for me. I could preview the imported Captivate web object fine while I was still in Presenter, but when I published it, the slide came up blank and I received some pop ups of scripting errors too.

Hi Tim, Web objects are often blocked by browsers when you view locally. If you load your files onto a server, you’ll probably fine that everything works fine. Funnily enough, when you publish to LMS and view the output locally, your web object will also work so that might be a quicker way to see that all is ok before finally publishing online. Regards,

• Kim says:

I have the same issues as Tim. As of the file being published it appears as a 5sec slide without any content. To have it work, do you suggest to upload all on a server (any preference ?) prior to publishing ?

Hi Kim, Thanks for your question. I think if you test with any web object, you will find the same issue. Web objects generally don’t show up properly in presentations that you publish on your own computer. However, if you upload the published files (player folder, data folder and the player.html), you should find that your web object plays fine. Your web object files actually copied automatically into your Articulate data folder so there is no need to worry about adding those files too. Like I suggested to Tim, you could just try publishing to LMS on your own computer and then viewing those files via player.html or via the Play Presentation on the Publish Successful dialog box. Even though you have published to LMS, the presentation should play fine and as you expected. Once you are happy with your presentation, publish to the Web, and then upload to your server. (I am assuming of course that you are not intending this to go on an LMS. If you want to go on an LMS, choose the LMS option of course. Either way, it will play fine). Finally another thing to bear in mind is that sometimes web objects take a little time to load, particularly if is a large Captivate file. Remember to put a warning on the slide that learners may need to wait a few seconds before the video loads.

• Sharyn says:

Hi, I have published to my LMS however the web objects do not play. They play perfectly when I publish as a html. Has anyone been able to successfully play in an LMS?

• carolina says:

I have done exactly what you suggested and when I publish, the slide is empty. WHY did Articulate change the settings and now doesn’t work with Captivate. What do I do now?

8. Klaus says:

it works not so fine.
    i did as above described. in preview the slice, it works fine, until i abort the running swf.
    then a script error exists.

line: 53
    sign: 3
    error: object needed
    code: 0

when i publish the whole presentation, it shows me an empty slice instead of the swf file.

cu
    klaus

9. I have successfully imported Captivate 55 html files into Articulate, but when the Captivate file is done playing, I receive a Script Error message indicating :

Line: 5
    Character: 3
    Error: Object Required
    Code: 0
    URL: file///C:/Users/muths/AppData/Local/Temp/Articulate/presenter/App0DDA7/data/webobject_slide4/index.html

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

• Heidi Horsman says:

We are having the same issue.
      We get the scripting error – Object required.
      Any suggestions would be great!
      Thanks!

10. Dan Epstein says:

Thanks for posting this solution. I don’t want to show the Captivate playbar in the item I embed into the Articulate project. In Captivate I set the show playbar variable to 0 to turn it off. When I run the Articulate project, the Captivate playbar doesn’t show but there is a gray space where it would have been.

How can this be eliminated?

Hi Dan, Not sure. Have you tried changing the resolution in Captivate 5. In my example, I had a resolution of 700 x 495 but if you are taking off the playbar, then you might need to go for a greater height value to compensate, maybe something like 700 x 510 ? Regards

11. vicky says:

I used this process and it works greta for me but when I sent it out for review soe people see a blank screen (the demo never plays). One person received an Adobe Flash Player error stating:
    The following local application on your computer or network – it lists a file location
    is trying to communicate with this Internet enabled location – it litsts another file location

To let this application communicate with the Internet click settings …

The person followed the isntructions to no avail. Any ideas why it might work for some and not others?

12. vicky says:

I used this process and can view the demo after I publish to Articulate. I am having some user issues though. I have some users who just get a blank screen. I have one user that received an error message stating “the the following local application on your computer or network C:\documents%… is trying to communicate with this internet enabled location: C:\documents and settings …”

These same users are able to view another demo that was previously published using an older version of Captivate (inserted as a flv).

Are you aware of any settings that must be enabled that could possibly block the Captiavte piece from running?

Hi Vicky, If you publish your presentations to the Web (as per the Articulate publish options) web objects will generally not work when viewed locally (except on the author’s machine). That goes with all types of web objects and not just with Captivate. Your FLV captivate movie from the older version of Captivate may have been inserted as a Flash movie so would not have met the same issue. However, once you have published to the Internet (or Intranet) you should find that the web object does play normally. If you want your web object to work locally for other people, you could try publishing to LMS and instructing users to launch the presentation by clicking in player.html, or publishing to CD. I am not sure if that will work for you but it is what I would try first. Hope that helps.

13. Alicia Sauer says:

Hi Dave,

I am using a trial version of Captivate 5.5. I followed your instructions above and saved the HTML file as Index.html. However, when I tried to insert the file as a web object, Articulate gives me the following message “Could not locate ‘index.html’ or ‘index.htm’ in the specified folder.”

I have tried to make the change several times and can’t figure out why such a simple change isn’t working in Articulate.

Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

Alicia

14. Alicia Sauer says:

Figured it out! It was a simple file extension issue.

Great. It is always nice when you can find the answers to your own questions !

• Denise says:

I have the same issue (received the error message “Could not locate ‘index.html” or “index.htm” in the specified folder. The extension is correct. Is there something else that might be causing this?

Hi Denis,

Not sure but you might just want to move the folder to another location or create a new folder and place the index.htm file in that folder. It happens to me occasionally and this normally solves the issue.

15. Justin says:

If I create a Captivate demo and insert it into an Articulate presentation (as you show in the demo), when I publish the Articulate file and host it on SharePoint, will it still work?

In other words, will the captivate demo run if the published articulate presentation is on MS Sharepoint?

Hi Justin, I see no reason why it shouldn’t work on MS Sharepoint. You’re just using a regular HTML object and whenever you publish in Articulate, your web object will be embedded into your presentation like any ordinary web page. If Captivate 5 works on Sharepoint by itself, it will work as a web object in Articulate. Regards

• César Messias Rabino says:

Hi,

Starting from the question of Justin, i’m folowing your tips to insert the web object and i’m publishing the articulate as LMS files because our contents are deployed thru moodle.

My question is, when publishing the articulate we can choose any of the options (LMS, WEB, etc) and your tip should work, rigth?

Because when i test in my PC everything is fine and then when i send to the user to test, the captivate files does not open.

I’m working with captivate 5.5.

If you could help me would be great.

Many thanks
        César Messias Rabino

Hi César,

You might be hitting a general issue with testing web objects offline: they won’t always open. You don’t say how you are sending the user your presentation to test. If you put your presentation online, then you won’t have any problem, either on a regular server or an LMS. Hope that helps.

16. Mereki says:

Hi there,
    Thanks for the article – helped me a great deal. Some feedback – your screen shots for step 5 and step 6 are mixed around. Also, it might be helpful to clarify that you must ‘publish to folder’ at step 2, so that at step 5 you have something to point at – i.e. you can’t just publish to the desktop.
    Cheers

Hi Mereki, Many thanks for the feedback! Not sure how I missed the swapped images for so long but they have been swapped back and I have noted your point about step 2. That should help others giving this tip a try. Best. Dave

17. Dawn Russ says:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the Web object workaround; it was a lifesaver. However, could you provide me with some more information about your Note “◦You will not be able to control the Captivate movie from the Articulate player. So you may want to use the Captivate skin and embed that in the Articulate player.”?

How would I use/embed the Captivate skin in the Articulate Player? I’m wondering if that would solve my new issue. My Captivate 5.5 Web Object is inserted and playing fine, the only problem is that the Articulate Next button is constantly flashing and if the user clicks it, they go to the next slide. My Web Object is the course assessment where the learner must simulate a software program. So, if they click the flashing Articualte Next button, they don’t finish the test and they don’t get scored. My workaround is a BIG BRIGHT WARNING to not click the flashing button until they receive and Submit their score on the last page. There has to be a better way and something I’m just missing. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks. Dawn

Hi Dawn, the problem is that Captivate 5 and now 6 use ActionScript 3 and Articulate Studio ’09 is still on ActionScript 2 and so placing the skin as a Flash movie with these versions of Captivate will just not work. It did work with Captivate 4 which allowed publishing to ActionScript 2 and 3. Fortunately the new version of Studio (when it comes out) will almost certainly be based on ActionScript 3 and so you’ll be just fine. Articulate Storyline is ActionScript 3 based and yes, you can embed Captivate movies just fine and control them via the Captivate player (I have already tried). So for the meantime, you could just hang on there until Studio ’12 comes out or else consider migrating to Storyline.

18. Steve says:

The html files are published to my local machine, and when the web object is inserted into Articulate and published, it works fine on my machine. This is not the case when I publish the Articulate file to my LMS. Do I need to embed the HTML files in the SCORM package and point the web object to the index.htm file in the SCORM package? Will that work, or do I need to add another SCO using ManifestMaker?

Hi Steve, You shouldn’t need to embed or touch the HTML files at all for it to work on your LMS. Articulate takes a copy of your local HTML files and places them in a folder for use online. A couple of things come to mind. 1) If this is a Captivate movie, maybe it is just taking a long tome to load before it gets started ? (it will run quickly locally of course). Have you tried waiting a fair bit to see if it starts up? If it does finally start, then you’ll need to consider either putting a warning telling views they’ll have to wait a bit, or else putting some text on the web object page for people to read while they wait. 2) Have you tried loading the Captivate or the web object onto the LMS directly without embedding it in Presenter? Maybe the content doesn’t work online (for whatever reason) and the issueisn’t with the Articulate player at all. In any case, as I said, unless you are specifically trying to track the web object in the LMS (which is generally not an easy thing to do), you certainly do not need to point the web object to the index.htm file or use another SCO. You just let it be.

19. JD says:

When you embed this Captivate content into Articulate, and try to use the Exit button, or the Attachments button, that content appears behind the Captivate content. I know this is because of the AS2 vs. AS3 issue. Is there any way to have the Captivate layer not always be on top?

20. Jelke says:

Is is so that webobjects, unlike flash movies, will not be shown ‘full screen’ if you choose slide only? Meaning the captivate movies will not play full screen (980×560) unless i use plain mp4, wich makes them loose interactivity?

21. Wendy says:

The web object abruptly ends without finishing the video and automatically advances to the nest slide. I am not able to find a resolution to this.n Thanks.

Hi Wendy, if the web object is ending abruptly, this might be because you have set the web object slide to advance automatically. If you set it to advance ‘by user’, your web object/video will play to the end and the user can press the forward button on the Articulate player to move on.

22. Lorenza says:

Hi there! Excellent content articles here. please do keep us updated.

23. A person necessarily lend a hand to make critically posts I would state.
    This is the first time I frequented your web page
    and up to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular publish amazing.
    Fantastic task!

24. Hey, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine but
    when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, very good blog!

25. Isabell says:

Terrific article! This is the kind of information that are supposed to
    be shared across the net. Disgrace on Google for not positioning
    this submit upper! Come on over and consult with my web site .
    Thanks =)

26. I needed to thank you for this very good read!! I
    definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new
    things you post…

27. Are you showing the taxes and shipping fee in your online shopping cart for the first time.
    The same video is also reported on MSN’s site today. This shopping cart will not handle any
    financial aspect of the portal.

28. Genuinely when someone doesn’t understand then its up to other people that they will help,
    so here it occurs.

29. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted
    to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope
    you write again soon!

30. Marcus says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but
    I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger
    if you are not already ;) Cheers!