Have you ever wanted to have a course where you can track both the progression of the course and a quiz at the same time? Or maybe track multiple quizzes at the same time?
When you publish Articulate to LMS, you essentially track a single element within a course. So if you have a presentation with three embedded Quizmaker quizzes in Presenter, you can only track one of those quizzes or the number of slides viewed in the presentation.
However there is a way to publish each quiz separately but have them within the same SCORM file so that the user moves from one quiz to another within the same trackable course. Technically, you build separate SCO elements and place them within a single SCORM package.
Now putting SCOs together and editing the imsmanifest file can be a challenge. Dave Mozealous pointed to a reasonably accessible technique to repackage Articulate content to multiple scos using Dreamweaver and the “Manifest Maker” plugin. But you need Dreamweaver and judging from some of the comments, it is not always as easy as one would like.
This is where the Simple Scorm Packager comes in. JCA Solutions’ Simple Scorm Packager is the sort of product that fits in great with Articulate software. It is easy to use, intuitive and it works. And they even use Articulate Engage interactions to walk through their software!
Click to see in full screen.
This tool enables you to do what other tools can do but without all the programming and complexity. You’ll need to buy the $99.00 software (there is a fully functional trial available) but you don’t need Dreamweaver or any other software. Plus it is very easy.
I had my first multi-sco Articulate SCORM package up and running on my test LMS at my second attempt (forgot to publish to LMS in my first attempt!).
Below is an example of a multiple quiz course in Docebo. Go through the course (there are only two or three slides in each) and click the Continue tab. That will automatically launch the first quiz. Finish the quiz and that will then automatically launch another presentation with an embedded quiz. Finish the quiz and you find yourself in an Engage interaction. Finish that and you start a final quiz…. all within the same course. You can follow your progression on the left of the screen.
You can either create your own login to the Docebo LMS (you’ll need to register and confirm your registration via email) or you can login with a Username: “test” and a password: “test”.
Choose or subscribe to the “Multiple Sco” course, select “Course” and then “Multi Sco Project With Articulate”.
If you use the test login, you’ll probably see other people’s attempts but you can at least get some questions wrong and see how the element is shown to be incomplete.
How do you do it?
Before you even start installing the Simple SCORM Packager”, you can prepare your Articulate files that you want to be grouped together into a single SCORM course.
- Create a folder where you will place all the individual trackable courses, and presentations.
- Open each presentation and quiz and publish to LMS (choose SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 depending on your own LMS) and make sure that the Publish Location Folder is the folder you specified in Step 1.
- When you have published everything to your folder, you should find a series of sub-folders, each containing one of your Articulate LMS packages.
Do NOT zip up your LMS files.
You are now ready to use SSP.
- If you haven’t done so already, download the trial of Simple Scorm Packager here. (You’ll need to register on the site first).
- Open the program and simply follow the instructions.
JCA Solutions have created their own Engage interaction outlining the process to use the Simple SCORM Packager. You can view it here:
To make it easier, I have recorded a Screenr capture which is in two parts.
Be sure to open the Screenr to full screen so that you can see exactly what is happening.
Using SSP to create a Multi Sco Articulate Package – Part 1
In this first part, you’ll see how I prepared three sample Articulate courses and then started the process of merging them into a single SCORM course.
Using SSP to create a Multi Sco Articulate Package – Part 2
In this second part, you’ll see me uploading them to the Docebo test LMS and viewing the final course.
If you want to test my files created with SSP on your own LMS, you can download them here.
- I tested with SCORM 2004 3rd edition with Docebo. You’ll need to choose the correct format for your own LMS.
- This tool is compatible with any SCORM compatible software so you can mix content from different tools in the same SCORM package.
- This will not work with Articulate Online. See this article for a workaround on tracking multiple quizzes in Articulate Online.
- I don’t have any contacts with JCA Solutions! I used the trial version to produce the above demos.