Summary: Create an account at Dokeos Campus for a free and basic online LMS.
Difficulty: Easy to medium

One of the most frequent questions I seem to get is

“How can I track x number of users on my course and get the scores of my quiz?”

And the answer is:

Use an LMS or VLE.

Quizmaker works best if you integrate it online with a  learning management system (LMS) or a virtual learning environment (VLE) – different names for the same thing. That way you and your users can log in and see scores, tracking info and much more besides.

Articulate Online

The best tracking system for Articulate products is Articulate Online.  It is a system that has been especially designed to get the most information from your users. It tracks the questions and the answers given by students in their entirety.  You can publish direct from each of the Articute products direct to the system without needing to go through the motions of uploading zip files and logging onto the system. It requires no effort to set up and is very accessible for your users. However, like most good things, it does come at a cost and is sometimes beyond the budget of many Articulate enthusiasts.

SCORM and AICC compatible LMS

Articulate Studio ‘09 is fully SCORM and AICC compatible meaning that you can publish the content to any SCORM or AICC compatible Learning Management System or Virtual Learning Environment and that system will also track information about your users. What information it tracks depends on the LMS you go for. You won’t get the full tracking and reporting you get with Articulate Online but you may get enough to suit your needs.

This series of articles looks at some of the most common open source Learning Management Systems and complements information that can found in other Articulate blogs and support articles. It is designed to help the novice get up and running.

Running Your Course Off An Existing Online LMS

By far the easiest way of getting your course or quiz tracked is to load into an online system. This is the principle of Articulate Online which is hosted on the very best quality servers.  If your course is small (less than 20 Mb) and you are not too concerned about branding, then you might want to consider hosting on the free Dokeos campus site

You’ll need to register as a course creator and once you’ve done that, you are free to import courses and quizzes and get your users to follow.

The first step is to import your content to Dokeos. Dave Mozealous recently prepared a Screenr screencast showing us in detail how this should be done. I suggest you begin by watching that. (Note that he is not using Dokeos Campus but his own installed version of the portal. However the procedure for importing content is the same.)

You’ll then need to get your users enrolled on your course. Unlike Articulate Online, where you can do bulk importing of users, Dokeos requires the user to register themselves to the portal. Once the user is registered, they can either subscribe to your course or you can subscribe them directly.

User Subscribes

• When your user first registers or logs in, they are taken to the Training Management screen.
  • Here, they will need to do a search for your course (by course title or author)

• dokeosuser1

• Then choose the appropriate course or quiz and select “Subscribe”.
  • dokeosuser2

• Once subscribed, hit the Training tab at the top, and you’ll have your subscribed courses appear in your list.
  • The user needs just to click on the title of the course to begin.

dokeosuser3

You subscribe your users

If that sounds a little complicated, or you want to make sure that only your users can subscribe and not anyone else, you can also do this yourself at an administrator level.

• Log in to your administrator account.
  • Click on the Trainings tab.
  • Select the course to which you want to invite users.
  • Click on Users in the Interaction section of the screen.

dokeosadmin1

• Select Enroll Users to Training.
  • dokeosadmin2

• You then need to search for the user using their name or email address and click Register to the right of the table.
  • dokeosadmin3

• To make sure that no one else can register for your course and effectively keep it private, go back to the settings page for the course. (Home Page –> Trainings –> Click on the course title).
  • In the Administration section, click on Settings:
  • dokeosadmin4

• Scroll down slightly to Training access and select “Private access – site accessible only to training members (see the Users List).

dokeosadmin5

Clicking on the Users List will incidentally take you to the same Users menu above where you search and register your students.

You can even enter a registration password which in principle would allow the content to stay open for users registered on the platform but would only allow those users with a password to go ahead with the registration.

Notes:

• Rather than use Dokeos Campus, you could install Dokeos on your own server.  Unless you are familiar with setting up systems on your IT network, you may find this daunting and overly complicated. I personally find this latest edition of Dokeos more difficult to set up than its predecessors and the support is somewhat lacking. However, this is the downside of Open Source software. You don’t get the same level of support.
    • Once you have your own LMS, there is nothing stopping you from using Articulate software to track all your users. Dokeos Campus is great for schools. If you are a teacher wanting to give some basic tests to your pupils, then create your quiz on your computer in Quizmaker, upload it to Dokeos Campus and get your pupils to register online. You’ll be able to track the results of all your class quickly and efficiently and your pupils will love you for giving them some online assignments.
    • Quizmaker is not the only application you can track on an LMS. Both Presenter ’09 and Engage ’09 also have tracking properties. In Presenter, you can track the number of slides a user has viewed, the answers to a Choice Learning Game and the results of an embedded quiz from Quizmaker or an embedded Engage interaction. You can track Engage ’09 as a standalone too to check that the interaction has been viewed.
    • Dokeos is a European inspired system and was created as an offshoot to the Belgian Claroline open source LMS.

This post is tagged

1. Brent says:

Thank you for posting this! I am in higher education. My university has an open source LMS called Sakai which doesn’t support SCORM. We can’t afford Articulate Online. Interactive assessment is key to good online learning. I am looking forward to following this topic.

2. Li says:

This is really worth looking at along side Moodle – esp as it is so easy to install and config (did it in an hour or so – and I am not a techie).
      Thanks for the post.

Li

3. André says:

Bonjour,
      Sorry to talk about something different than Dokeos. I’m student in a elearning master in the university of Sorbonne. My fellows and I just started to be intersted by Articulate.

Unhopefully, our teachers are not skills enough in this software. So we are looking for private classes or tutorials to help us improve our skills. We started to work with some tutoriels we find, but we would like something more specific. We hope you could help us to find somebody who could fit the job :-)

By the way, I think you’re living in France, so we will enjoy to meet you around a cup of cofee and talk about Articulate. This should be great as well for us !

A bientot,
      André

Bonjour André, Nice to hear from you and glad to see that you are studying Articulate as part of your Masters. I frequently go to Paris myself (passing through tomorrow on my way to Learning Technologies in London) so yep, I’d be happy to meet up with you and your friends but not tomorrow of course! I’ll send you a mail with some French tutorials and we can discuss training or classes. Bye!

4. I’m greatly impressed with this video. Although I do my own tutorials in Spanish, I can do more tutorials including articulate and other tools. I’m quite familiarized with these software and I’d really glad to offer as much help as possible.

I’m an English teacher and soon I’ll be studying a maestry in English Language autonomous learning environment in Universidad de la Sabana, in Bogotá.

I have my youtube channel offering instructions about dokeos instalation and some articulate tutorials. You can find it here:

With this new tutorial I can offer better material to do this but in spanish. I’m deeply grateful for this tutorial.

Any help you need, you’re welcome to ask me.

Thanks a lot!

5. Ramkumar says:

Hi,

Thanks for this info.
      I have deployed about 10 LMS for various universities and institution in the past, (mostly Moodle ). However, One of our new client feel dokeos is their requirement. BUt They have a Windows based environment (IIS) and I dont think I will be able change that,My query is , Is dokeos capable of running in IIS ?

6. daveperso says:

Hi Ramkumar, not sure. The Dokeos website says “Dokeos can be installed on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and UNIX servers indifferently. However, we recommend the use of Linux server for optimal flexibility, remote control and scalability.” I would check with them directly. http://dokeos.com/en/install

7. Rene Ruiz says:

Hello, We are in the Healthcare field and are fairly new to LMS’s. We have registered with Dokeos but are having a little difficulty getting started.

We cannot find the Training tab when we login using the administrative login feature and we are not sure why. If someone could shed some light we would apreciate it..

8. Nina Patel says:

Hi,

I had a question about this. We recently purchased a Learning Management System through Halogen. All of our users are registered in there. I created a SCORM course/quiz through Articulate and uploaded it as a course in the LMS. When a user is ready to take the course, they log in to Halogen, take the course, and complete the quiz, ALL by staying within Halogen. What I want to do as the administrator, is view the qiuz responses for each individual. Is Dokeos the answer to doing this? From what I’ve read, it seems like the user would have to log in to Dokeos, not our LMS, to take the course and complete the quiz. Is that correct?

Is there any tool that would allow me to upload the Scorm course/quiz as a zip file and allow me to view the answers without the user having to login to another system?

Thanks!
      Nina

npatel@westmonroepartners.com

Hi Nina, It sounds as if Halogen should be doing what you are looking for. If you uploaded your SCORM zip files to Halogen, the LMS should at least be tracking to see if the user passed or not. Most ‘decent’ LMSs should also be able to track specific answers for each individual which is what you are looking for, it seems. I would first contact Halogen directly to see if it could handle that directly. If your LMS does not handle specific answers from users, then yes, you’ll need to set up a second system. Sometimes, you can integrate two systems so that the user only has one logon for both systems, but it can be technical and ‘messy’. Hope that helps.

9. Chadley says:

Hi there,
      I am actually very disapointed with the LMS community. And especially disappointed with Dokeos.
      The Issues we have range from lack of back buttons, to not being able to share quizzes with other trainers.

Overall it is a very good looking system. but it doesnt function properly.
      The manual is one of those that tells you what the button does. and it gets confusing when they jump from courses to sessions and so on, leaving the user with no clue as to how to create a course which would be suitable for the environment.
      Lastly the forum of dokeos id dead. and they dont answer any questions that are posted unless it is bug.
      So there is no support and bad documentation for dokeos.