Summary: Use web objects to have more than one quiz in your presentation on Articulate Online.
Aren’t there times when you’d like to be able to track more than one quiz in a presentation? With Articulate Online, you can track as many quizzes as you like! This article shows you how.
Articulate Presenter can track one of the following in an LMS and Articulate Online:
- A Quizmaker Quiz
- A Choices Learning Game
- The number of slides viewed in a presentation
But with Articulate Online, you can can track as many Quizmaker quizzes as you like in addition to the one choice you make above. You do this by leveraging web objects in Articulate Presenter. You can track the results for the presentation and each of the quizzes as each will have their own entry in Articulate Online.
Here is a simple demo showing one Web Object Quiz and one regular quiz.
Building a Web Object Quiz – Overview
Basically, a Web Object Quiz is a quiz that we have created in Articulate Quizmaker and published to Articulate Online. We then add a web object to another presentation in Articulate Presenter and use the invitation URL available in the Contents -> Invitations tab on Articulate Online as our web object URL address. When the presentation reaches the web object, Articulate Online displays the standalone quiz on that slide in the presentation. For the user the quiz more or less identical to a regular quiz.
A Web Object Quiz allows us to get over the one-quiz-per-presentation limit that presently applies to Articulate Presenter. But a Web Object Quiz does have a couple of features that we need to take note of if we want it to integrate well with Presenter.
- First, a web object will not resize to fill the slide area as an embedded regular quiz would. We must make sure that we publish our presentation at optimal size to make sure that the web object quiz looks ok and fills the slide correctly.
If you publish at any other size or allow the presentation to fill the browser, you may find that the quiz only fills part of the slide area and will look bad.
- Second, since the Web Object Quiz is essentially a standalone quiz published on Articulate Online, the Finish button will close the browser window altogether including our presentation!
That means our presentation will close after each Web Object Quiz. We need to deactivate that and ideally give the user a message on how to continue.
Step By Step
- First build your quiz in Articulate Quizmaker.
- When you are ready to publish, hit the Articulate button at the top left of Quizmaker -> Quizmaker Options and make sure that the box for “Enable publish for manual uploading to Articulate Online is checked.
- Publish -> Articulate Online and choose
for the Account URL (click on the downward arrow to the right of the URL box to see that option).
- Choose to view the files. (Open Folder)
- Change the file extension from qm3
- Unzip the file.
- Open quiz_content.
- Open quiz.js with Notepad.
- Do a search (Edit -> Search) for window.close
- Replace this line:
with this line:
alert('You have finished this assessment. To continue, please click on the forward button on the player controls below.');
You can choose any text you like of course but make sure it stays between the quotes.
- Close and save the quiz.js.
- Rezip quiz.html, quiz.swf and content_quiz into a single zip package. (Make sure you don’t zip up the folder containing these elements).
- Change the extension back from zip to qm3.
- Open your Articulate Online account in your browser and manually upload the package.
For instructions on how to manually upload content to Articulate Online, have a look at this article on the Articulate Support site
You will create a qm3 file.
You can now include your Web Object Quiz in an Articulate Presenter presentation.
Integrating the Web Object Quiz into Articulate Presenter
- Create your presentation in Articulate Presenter as you would normally.
- In Articulate Online, go to your Articulate Online account and click on the content item corresponding to your Web Object Quiz you just uploaded.
- Go to the Invite tab and copy the URL to “Link directly to this content”.
- Add a new slide to your presentation in PowerPoint and add a web object to that slide.
- Paste the URL from Articulate Online into your web object URL. Choose to display in the slide over the Full Slide and Advance to the next slide when user clicks next.
In my testing, I found that the Web Object Quiz displayed better if you “nudge” the web object twice to the right. Select the web object, and click twice on the right cursor arrow.
Publishing to Articulate Online
You can now prepare to publish your presentation to Articulate Online. This means that you will host your presentation on Articulate Online which in turn will reference a Web Object Quiz which you also uploaded to Articulate Online with a separate content name.
- To make sure that the web object displays correctly, in Presenter, go to Player Templates -> Other and make the presentation display at optimal size. (Presentation Size: Lock presentation at optimal size)
- Go to Publish -> Articulate Online, and this time publish your presentation directly to Articulate Online.
You are now ready to view your presentation. It will track as many Web Object Quizzes as you wish to insert, plus it will also track either a regularly embedded Quizmaker quiz, a Choices Learning Game or the number of slides viewed.