Summary: Edit the report.html file to change the appearance of the Printed Results page.
Powerful customization in Quizmaker ’09
Have you seen how powerful the customization features are Articulate Quizmaker ’09? Gone is the fixed template where you could just change colors and fonts. You can now place almost any object on the slide in Quizmaker ’09. But one element of the quiz you can’t customize is the Printed Results page.
As you know, you can let the user print their results at the end of a quiz. We saw recently how to change the report.html to change the content of that report.
Why would you want to do that? Well, lots of reasons.
So let’s look at the changes we can make to the report. Let’s also see how you can permanently change that report.html so that you don’t need to keep manually changing it each time you publish.
Activating the Print Results feature in Quizmaker ’09
To have Print Results button in your quiz, click on the Pass Results button in the ribbon of Quizmaker ’09:
(the picture shows both the Pass Results button and the Fail Results button)
Check the box “Allow user to print results”.:
Do the same with the Fail Results button on the ribbon as shown above. Check the box to “Allow users to print results”.
The Report.html file is where the Printed Results form is compiled. This is where we need to make changes. You’ll find this file in the published files of your quiz. In Quizmaker ’09, the file is in the quiz_content folder but only if you have checked the Printed Results option as I explained above.
Publishing a standalone quiz
In a standalone version of your quiz, your published files will look something like this:
Open the content_quiz folder to see this:
Notice the report.html file. This is what we need to open and edit.
Publishing a quiz to Presenter
If you publish your quiz to PowerPoint and Articulate Presenter, then you need to look at your Presenter published files. They’ll look something like this:
Open the data folder:
Open the SWF folder:
Finally, open the quiz folder to see your regular quiz project files:
A Revised Report.html
We need to make a few basic edits to the report.html to change the layout. Or, replace this file with another edited report.html. I’ve added comments in the code to an edited report.html to make it easier to know what to edit. Replace the report.html in your published files with this one, or else just make the edits as shown.
- Download this file in zip form.Download file here
(The only thing that I’ve changed is the comments.)
- Click here to view before downloading.(The file is in text format here and not html. Download the zip version above).
- Unzip the file..
- Open it in Notepad. (right-click the file and select Open with -> Notepad. See here for a quick video demo on how to do that).
- See the comments? I’ve numbered each one. They correspond to one part of the Print Results Page.
- Simply comment out the appropriate line to remove it from the Print Results page. You comment out the line by placing // at the beginning of the line.
- Look at the Engage interaction below to know what to comment out. For example, step 4 in the interaction below corresponds to comment 4 in the report.html file.
- Create a test quiz, view the Print Results page. As you edit your report.html, refresh the page each time you make a new save to the document. That way you know your edits are working as you want.
- Make the very simple edits and save your document.
- Replace the report.html in your existing quiz with this new version. Don’t forget that the code is exactly the same except now you have commented lines out.
- Distribute the quiz. Don’t republish it in Articulate Presenter or Quizmaker or you’ll lose your edits!
Look at this embedded interaction to see what parts of the code you’re changing. Click on the arrows on the interaction to view the steps.
We want to remove the Correct Answer and the Student Answer from the results page. We need to change steps 5 and 20 for the Correct Answer column (the body and the header) and steps 6 and 21 for the Student Answer column (again the body and the header).
Do the same for step 6.
and Step 21
Save the file. The quiz is ready to go.
A New Print Results Format
With just four sets of forward slashes, you’ve changed the Printed Results from this:
And this is the quiz. Test it yourself and see how it’s changed.
Save even more time
If you just need to edit one quiz, then the method above is fine. But if you want to change all or many of your quizzes, then try the following:
Please note this is not supported by Articulate.
Rather than edit each time you publish, edit the program files. The revised report.html is automatically inserted into the quiz. This is neat because you don’t need to keep adding forward slashes to the report.html code. Do it once and keep different copies of the report.html for different uses.
Go through the steps above but then do the following:
Now, create a quiz as usual and publish. View the Printed Results, and see the new format. You don’t have to change the published files yourself.
You can keep different versions of the report. Make sure the file you want is called report.html. Rename the others to report2.html, or report_without_student_answers.html etc. so that Quizmaker doesn’t get confused.
When you re-install Quizmaker ’09, your main report.html will get overwritten so you will want to keep a backup of it somewhere.